The life sciences and pharmaceutical industries ordered 21% more robotic units YoY in the first half of 2020.
During the pandemic, the pharma industry has been overwhelmed by steadily growing demand and challenging supply chain nuances.
As a result, companies are increasingly turning towards automation and AI, to cope with the exigent requirements in the face of such demanding circumstances.
They have come to realize that only the implementation of robotic process automation (RPA) with trailblazing AI technologies such as OCR, ML, NLP, etc. as intelligent automation (IA), can transform and improve the functional operations of the Pharma industry.
Abid Rahman, a pharmaceutical marketer, admits that,
“Pharma now more than ever before is ready to use AI to provide engagement, efficiency and customer support. The pandemic has also helped generate massive amounts of data from online events, blogs, forums etc.”
So, incorporating intelligent automation in the pharma industry reduces the time spent on non-core tasks, offers real-time insights, drives agility, scalability, and thereby enriches innovation and business value.
So, how is Intelligent Automation being implemented in the Pharma Industry?
A majority of the pharma companies have jumped on the intelligent automation bandwagon to accelerate manufacturing, improve problem-solving and decision-making skills in addition to tailored marketing.
Listed below are some of the use cases of intelligent automation in pharma:
- Clinical Trials Management: Clinical trials are standardized procedures which range from pilot experimentation to post-market surveillance with data collection at each step. The use of IA in this process ensures consistency, quality control and accuracy in data entry, eliminating the risk of inaccuracies and errors. More importantly, it reduces TATs of results.
- Supply Chain & Inventory Management: Storing and handling pharmaceutical supplies is no easy feat considering their numbers and special warehousing requirements. However, adopting IA helps with procurement and shipping, order and invoice processing, effective supply and demand planning while reducing operational costs.
- Salesforce Operation: Using IA to automate data entry, monitor records, document and study customer feedback, absolves sales reps from having to do these tasks. This grants sales reps the opportunity to focus on customer acquisition, engagement, conversion, and other relevant tasks.
- Compliance and Regulatory Requirements: With millions of lives at stake, the pharmaceutical industry cannot afford errors. Integrating IA mitigates this risk while adhering to the rigorous standards and esoteric regulations of the pharma industry.
Which factors drive the success of Intelligent Automation in the Pharmaceutical sector?
- 1. Governance:
- Governance ensures trustworthiness in the automation ecosystem by keeping track of processes & bot activity. It helps meet SLA’s for superior process efficiency, refines human & bot deployment, and guarantees compliance to standards.
- 2. Process Discovery:
- Data-driven process discovery tools watch over complex pharma processes to identify bottlenecks which can be reduced with automation, to increase operational efficiency.
- 3. Scalability:
- Ineffective human-bot governance, poor exception handling, incompatibility with multiple bot vendors and future of work technologies, are some of the issues that prevent automation implementations from scaling up beyond a few bots. This leaves scalability to be a desired feature.
- To make use of this technology to the fullest, organizations need Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO).
How can Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO) boost support Intelligent Automation in Pharma while addressing the above factors?
Enate's Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO) is your solution to further intelligent automation initiatives in the pharma industry. It is a Lite Workflow, BPM, and Work Management platform that unifies all your human team members &/or automation technologies into one system.
It features cutting edge case management, ticket management, email management, and workforce management.
Here’s how RPO will address the above factors:
RPO increases RPA efficiencies through effective Governance: Automation implementations often wind up facing challenges such as ineffective governance, subpar exception handling, multiple bot vendor incompatibility, and sloppy human handoffs, leading to delays. But RPO easily manages human-RPA/bot handoffs, centralizes human-bot governance, offers multi-vendor compatibility, and improves exception handling.
RPO supports in identifying high potential processes for automation: While managing human and bot activity in a process, RPO shows business intelligence in recommending the activities to be automated, suggesting technology type, delivering metadata on savings potential and by providing a roadmap for continuous automation evolution.
RPO delivers end-to-end process automation while facilitating scalability: Using RPO, the Pharma industry can easily manage human and bot handoffs, in any order, for any number of times. Bots can do simple tasks while humans handle exceptions and focus on complex tasks in the end-to-end service cycle, ensuring scalability, especially in tedious processes like Pharmacovigilance.
Wondering if Enate’s RPO is the right fit for you?
If you’re looking for unifying your digital and human workforce for end-to-end automation, Enate’s RPO is the perfect solution. We offer best in class automation services that can be optimized to suit your business needs, adding value to your company.
Download Enate's whitepaper: Intelligent Automation in Pharma – Powered by Robotic Orchestration to know how Enate can connect the bots back into the enterprise-wide human teams, allow better leverage of RPA & other automation tools to further your Intelligent Automation journey in the Pharma Industry.
Enate is a UK based enterprise software company. Its Robotic Service orchestration technology combines lightweight Workflow, BPM & work management into a no-code quick SaaS offering. The technology delivers end-to-end process automation by connecting human workers & digital bots (RPA, OCR, AI/ML, etc.) into one hybrid workforce and managing operations across them.
The platform enables organizations to save 20 to 30% operating costs by scaling automation & streamlining operations to improve efficiency. Enate manages nearly 10 million transactions annually, across users in more than 60 countries.
The platform's customers include global brands like Mizuho Bank, Capgemini, EY, Utmost (erstwhile Generali Link), and many more.