The use of AI in hospital workflow management is expected to see a 40.6% CAGR by 2025.
Turbulent times have made us realize how indispensable the healthcare industry is to our well-being.
Outdated management systems, drawn-out paperwork, costly and labour-intensive processes with extended life cycles and a strong possibility for human error have proved to be futile. To simplify these processes, healthcare organizations are turning to automation and artificial intelligence (AI).
Having said that the fusion of artificial intelligence (ML, AI, NLP, OCR) with robotic process automation (RPA) demonstrates more efficiency and operational quality, in data cum process-driven industries, such as Healthcare.
Enabling IA increases operational efficiency by performing repetitive, routine tasks at a quicker pace, with AI improving exception handling and decision making. It basically brings two prospective technologies together. And during these unprecedented times, employing IA would be a game-changer. Anoop Tiwari, Senior Corporate Vice President at HCL Technologies, says:
"...the collaboration between human and machine tools and the matchup of intelligent automation vs. COVID-19 becomes critical toward ensuring business success.
Automation, in any form, whether physical or virtual, has already been the next paradigm shift in business, just waiting to happen. And while we’ve been steadily evolving on this trajectory, advancing scale and service in exceeding increments, the current crisis has shown us how important it is for business to support their workforce..."
So, how is Intelligent Automation being implemented in Healthcare in the Asia Pacific?
Intelligent automation is not yet widespread in healthcare settings but integrating it in the healthcare industry can provide a number of benefits from patient registration to enhancing data security, claims processing and even audit procedures.
Given below are some use cases for the healthcare industry:
- Appointments & Discharges: Automating patient appointments and discharges is fundamental for the proper functioning of the healthcare system; to deliver a first-class customer experience. IA is adept at streamlining this wide spectrum of information, minimizing administrative workload while optimizing patient turnout.
- Billing & Claims Processing: These tasks are repetitive, repository-based, and vulnerable to errors which can cause bottlenecks in processing. But the application of IA facilitates an end-to-end functionality, reduces TAT, and creates a failproof system.
- Administration: Digitization of large-scale data such as medical records, reports, diagnosis results, follow-ups, schedules, and patient data ensures data security and timely services while allowing manual intervention when needed. This leads to a viable administration, on top of cutting back on manual labour.
- Inventory & Supply chain management : Intelligent automation helps staff virtually manage stocks and supplies of medical equipment. It ensures that hospitals have an optimal supply of medical paraphernalia, drugs for maximum patient satisfaction and reduces AHT.
Which factors drive the success of Intelligent Automation in Healthcare?
- 1. Governance:
- Governance plays a significant role in ensuring that there is trustworthiness in the automation ecosystem by monitoring SLAs, human-bot utilization, and facilitating compliance management.
- 2. Process Discovery:
- Data-driven process discovery tools keep monitoring complex healthcare processes to identify bottlenecks which can be reduced with automation, thus increasing operational efficiencies.
- 3. Scalability:
- Most automation implementations in the healthcare industry have been struggling to scale up beyond a few bots due to multiple reasons encompassing ineffective human-bot governance, poor exception handling, incompatibility with multiple bot vendors, and future of work technologies.
To utilize this technology to the fullest, organizations need Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO).
How can Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO) boost support Intelligent Automation in Healthcare while addressing the above factors?
Enate's Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO) Platform helps further Intelligent Automation initiatives in the Healthcare Industry. It is a Lite Workflow, BPM, and Work Management platform that acts as a common thread to bind together all human team members &/or automation technologies into one framework.
It features cutting-edge case management, ticket management, email management, and workforce management capabilities.
Here’s how RPO will address the aforementioned factors:
RPO increases RPA efficiencies through effective Governance: Automation implementations often encounter roadblocks in terms of ineffective governance, suboptimal exception handling, incompatibility with multiple bot vendors, and inefficient human handoffs leading to delays. But RPO guarantees seamless handoffs between humans and bots resulting in efficient, centralized human-bot governance with improved exception handling and multi-vendor compatibility.
RPO supports in identifying high potential processes for automation: While managing human activities along with bot activity in a process, RPO provides business intelligence and provides recommendations on which activities can be automated, suggests a technology type, provides metadata around savings potential & provides an ongoing roadmap for the business on continuous automation evolution.
RPO delivers end-to-end process automation while facilitating scalability: With RPO, the Healthcare industry can flawlessly manage handoffs between humans and bots, placed in any order, as many times as needed. This gives a boost to Intelligent Automation as multiple bot technologies can be integrated with RPA while ensuring smooth collaboration with the human workforce.
Wondering if Enate’s RPO is the right fit for you?
Enate's RPO can advance the healthcare industry with improved ROI by automating processes with more human touchpoints. Enate is the right partner for a long-term automation strategy which includes the adoption of more "future-of-work" technologies like AI, ML, OCR, and Cognitive technologies. We understand that successful automation programs evolve from strategy to pilot to production through strong project ownership and a focus on the human side of processes.
Download Enate's whitepaper: Intelligent Automation in Healthcare – Powered by Robotic Orchestration to know how Enate can facilitate in ensuring better human-bot collaboration, governance, and integration with technologies like OCR/AI/ML/NLP. We leverage our experience from diverse client engagements across industries and geographies.
Enate is a UK based enterprise software company. Its Robotic Service orchestration technology combines lightweight Workflow, BPM & work management into a no-code quick SaaS offering. The technology delivers end-to-end process automation by connecting human workers & digital bots (RPA, OCR, AI/ML, etc.) into one hybrid workforce and managing operations across them.
The platform enables organizations to save 20 to 30% operating costs by scaling automation & streamlining operations to improve efficiency. Enate manages nearly 10 million transactions annually, across users in more than 60 countries.
The platform's customers include global brands like Mizuho Bank, Capgemini, EY, Utmost (erstwhile Generali Link), and many more.