"BPO companies are realizing that a cheaper workforce and low-cost benefits cannot be their only USPs as in the past. Witnessing the deepened integration of automation in everyday processes, BPO is now transitioning from only human-led processes to BPA, automation frameworks and robotics."
Outsourcing is one of the few industries structured on the labor arbitrage model. BPOs, in particular, employ a massive workforce to tackle their front-office and back-office workload.
But in recent years, business process outsourcing is seeing a tremendous surge in demand as companies strive to increase profits and improve their efficacy while still maintaining their ability to focus on their core competencies.
That said, BPOs, as a general rule, scale in terms of manpower when there is an increase in requirement. However, the introduction of Robotic Process Automation (RPA) in tandem with AI (OCR, ML, NLP, etc.) as Intelligent Automation (IA) has revolutionized the functioning of the BPO industry by increasing productivity while reducing manual labor and labor costs.
Robots approximately cost one-third of the price of offshore full-time employees and one-fifth of the price of an onshore full-time employee.
BPOs have started to predominantly employ intelligent automation for back-office tasks because robots can work with high accuracy on repetitive tasks without any breaks. However, most front-office tasks still require the cognitive skills of humans, which no AI can replicate.
So, the BPO industry serves as an ideal environment to set up a well-balanced work ecosystem of digital and manual workers to work together as a holistic unit.
So, how is Intelligent Automation being implemented in the BPO Industry?
Leading BPOs use intelligent automation to handle substantial amounts of data at economical fares and provide optimal customer satisfaction by meeting SLAs. Further, intelligent automation assists BPOs with the significant reduction of AHTs and TATs.
Listed below are some of the use cases for intelligent automation (IA) in BPOs:
- Increase Workforce Efficiency: By implementing IA, BPOs can relieve their employees from mundane back-office tasks and employ them far more effectively in areas that require cognitive and interpersonal skills, such as enhancing customer experience.
- Data Entry & Validation: Manually updating and validating data is prone to errors, inaccuracies, affecting operational efficiency. But, enabling IA in data handling allows BPOs to enter, validate, and process data rapidly without any errors while involving fewer resources and maintaining consistency.
- File & Data Manipulation: BPOs exhaustively rely on data in the form of files, records, and reports which become increasingly difficult to store and locate. Using IA overcomes this challenge because it assists with pulling, analyzing, formatting, mining, copying, and deleting datum/data.
- Reconciliations: Discrepancies in data, human error, and inconsistencies are commonplace in this process, wherein introducing IA mitigates risk, promises accuracy, and injects reliability to instill operational value.
Which factors drive the success of Intelligent Automation in the BPO industry?
- 1. Governance:
- From overseeing process & bot activity, enforcing SLAs, optimizing human & bot utilization, to maintaining compliance to standards, governance contributes to establishing trust in the automation ecosystem.
- 2. Process Discovery:
- Bottlenecks in complex BPO processes are identified by data-driven process discovery tools, which can be minimized with automation, thus increasing operational efficiency.
- 3. Scalability:
- Most automation implementations in the BPO industry struggle to scale up over a few bots due to insufficient human-bot governance, weak exception handling, incompatibility with multiple bot vendors, and other future-of-work technologies, leading to write-offs. But scalability is imperative for resilience and growth.
- To reap these benefits to the fullest, organizations need Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO).
How can Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO) boost Intelligent Automation in BPO while addressing the above factors?
Enate's Robotic Process Orchestration (RPO) is your answer to advancing intelligent automation initiatives in the BPO industry. It is a platform that blends BPM, Work Management, and Lite Workflow to run lean, well-managed processes against an optimally utilized team of humans and/or bot technologies. Enate's no-code SaaS technology can be deployed in a few weeks. It can reduce processing times by 80 percent and cut back on end-to-end cycle times by 70 percent, thus enabling maximum resource utilization, boosting productivity, and fine-tuning process management.
It features cutting-edge case management, ticket management, email management, and workforce management capabilities.
Here's how RPO will deal with the above factors:
RPO increases RPA efficiencies through effective Governance: Roadblocks in the forms of weak governance, inferior exception handling, multiple bot vendor incompatibility, and human handoff lapses lead to delays, affecting automation implementation. But RPO makes human-RPA/bot handoffs effortless, streamlines human-bot governance, provides multi-vendor compatibility, and upgrades exception handling.
RPO supports in identifying high potential processes for automation: RPO displays business intelligence in determining potential activities for automation – proposes the suitable technology, supplies metadata on savings potential & propounds a plan for continuous automation evolution based on human-bot activity.
RPO delivers end-to-end process automation while facilitating scalability: With RPO, manage harmonious handoffs between humans and bots placed in any order any number of times. Bots can carry out the menial tasks while humans take care of exceptions and complex tasks in the end-to-end service cycle. It guarantees scalability, especially in drawn-out, complicated processes like reconciliation and F&A.
Wondering if Enate's RPO is the right fit for you?
Enate's RPO has proven successful in increasing work efficiency by up to 10%, in addition to work allocation transparency and robust MIS reporting. It provides clear data to deliver continuous improvement goals. Moreover, Enate reduces TATs by 10%, demonstrates a successful vendor-customer partnership from strategy to pilot to production through strong project ownership and a focus on the human side of processes.
Download Enate's whitepaper: Intelligent Automation in BPO – Powered by Robotic Orchestration for better competitive advantage and operational agility than your peers in the industry, better customer experience, improvement in bottom-line and workforce productivity.
Enate is a UK-based enterprise software company. Its Robotic Process Orchestration technology combines lightweight Workflow, BPM & work management into a no-code quick SaaS offering. The technology delivers end-to-end process automation by connecting human workers & digital bots (RPA, OCR, AI/ML, etc.) into one hybrid workforce and managing operations across them.
The platform enables organizations to save 20 to 30% operating costs by scaling automation & streamlining operations to improve efficiency. Enate manages nearly 10 million transactions annually, across users in more than 60 countries.
The platform's customers include global brands like Mizuho Bank, Capgemini, EY, Utmost (erstwhile Generali Link), and many more.